Captainwow

Thursday, October 13, 2005

I Am Attila The Hun - Watch Me Dial 911!

In the wee hours of the morning, I called 911 for the first time in my life. I was so groggy, I didn't even know what to do, I went all the way downstairs even though there's a phone in the room I was sleeping in. I had been up earlier because I was hungry and unable so sleep. I must have just fallen asleep when I heard glass breaking, and I opened the window so I could hear better where it was coming from. It was coming from up the street, so I called 911 and they were getting 2 other calls for the same thing right about then. The guy chose that moment to run away and shout some stuff, so I recognized his voice as the stoned/drunk/cognitively disabled man (it's unclear if it's any or all of those) that woke me up a few nights ago, beating on the neighbor's car and getting yelled at by them. That night he ran away wailing and shouting obscenities too, after a long confrontation with our very loud neighbors. Now I wish I'd called the cops that night - but it seemed no one was getting hurt and with my very vocally loud neighbors, I never know if they're really seriously angry or just being very seriously loud. See, when I hear yelling, I think that hitting is next and if I hear lots of yelling then I think that lots of hitting is coming up and it makes me very nervous. I always assume that someone is about to get badly hurt. A friend of mine explained to me that it's a cultural thing, these neighbors of mine are just loud that way, and after observing them for a while, I can see that they don't seem to be physically violent, just very verbally expressive. ( I think.....)

At any rate, this time the cops nailed the stoned/drunk/cognitively disabled man. Actually, I was still in Attila the Hun mode, I wanted to run out into the street when I saw him running and take him down, steal his bat or shovel or whatever he was using, and make sure he didn't get away. But I realized just soon enough that I was without glasses, I was in my PJ's, barefoot, and 5 months pregnant. Not so much of a great time for running down and ass kicking - except in cyberland.

Everyone's fine, except for the porch windows he broke in the neighbor's house. I'm so glad no one got hurt. It took a long time to simmer down from that though, so it was another long night. However, I did get to read a really good article that my husband brought home for me to read. If you've ever seen the movie The Other Sister , it talks about this topic. The article was about Carrie Bergeron, a woman with Down's Syndrome who is getting married to a man with Down's syndrome. Their families have specific concerns and they have a lot of determination to make it on their own. You can read more about their story at that link if you want. I find it fascinating to read about people with disabilities who are determined to live independently and how with the help of a community of people, that is often more possible than once thought.

In other news, (because I know you're wondering) Attila the Hun conquered the Visigoths, the Alans and the Western Roman Empire yesterday. It was a long, bloody, and costly battle. I lost many many armies of men (and women) but ended the battle 24 calvary strong and with 4 trebuchets still intact. I demanded my dowry and received it. Still, I am restless. Today we will march on Rome in the last battle of our campaign. Details at 11.

Incidentally, Blogger's Spellcheck wants to replace Trebuchets with Therapists!!! HAHAHA!!

9 Comments:

  • I am glad nobody got hurt.

    It's good to hear that you still have 4 therepists left for battle. They can do a lot of damage.

    Take Care
    Michael

    By Blogger Michael, at 10/13/2005 1:03 PM  

  • Yes! Yes! Therapists in battle!!! What a great idea! A more civilized war, for sure!

    By Blogger Headless-in-GR, at 10/13/2005 1:50 PM  

  • I am really very glad everyone is ok. How scary!

    By Blogger Running2Ks, at 10/13/2005 4:55 PM  

  • just got caught up with your life ... are you busy? or what!!!! first, great news re the baby BOY Wow ... cool!

    sheesh, you are a tough mamma, ready to run after the crazy guy! i would never have even thought of it - unless of course i was totally angry like last monday - then possibly! but i'm glad no one was hurt and that you behaved and stayed indoors, only to play bad a** games on the computer!

    you are such a sweet funny girl ... i enjoy visiting your blog!

    By Blogger Saija, at 10/13/2005 11:27 PM  

  • therapists in battle? bwahahaha!! they could pummel each other with their rhetoric!

    listen, my sweet sister friend, while a noble thought, don't let running down the street in your slippers and jammies while being five months pregnant cross your mind ever again! you have that little dude to think of, m'kay?

    keep safe and ever vigilant :)

    as ever,
    p

    By Blogger ~pen~, at 10/14/2005 6:29 AM  

  • You conquered all of western Europe, what is one little drunk dude, right? However, had you tackled the evil doer, right in front of the neighbors while wearing your pj's, then your secret identity would have been blown. Much wiser to let the local authorities handle this one. You can save your powers for a more serious matter. Something involving national security.

    By Blogger spookyrach, at 10/14/2005 12:21 PM  

  • You should have called a therapist to take care of the crazy guy! They can do a lot of damage. Ha!

    By Blogger Kevmo, at 10/14/2005 12:30 PM  

  • The only time I ever dialed 911 was by accident. I was having problems with a new cell phone, and as it was booting up, one of the buttons said "SOS", and since I needed help, I pushed it. A warning screen even came on saying something like, "Is this an emergency?" Well, my phone wasn't working, it was an emergency to me, and it never occurred to me in the farthest reaches of my puny mind that it meant a REAL emergency. So I pushed the YES button. Next thing I know, there's a lady saying, "911 how may I help you?" I about peed myself right then and there!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/14/2005 3:20 PM  

  • Hey, it's one thing for Visigoths to mess with Attila the Hon, but watch out when jerks with cognitive issues deprive her of sleep. Whoa. Bloodbath.

    By Blogger Pat, at 10/15/2005 7:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home