Captainwow

Friday, August 13, 2004

Of Hot Wings and Sushi

Something rather amazing happened a while back.
Let me dig even further back to give you some really fascinating details so that this story has a little more meaning to you.
Years ago, a good friend introduced me to a place called BW3. Back then it stood for Buffalo Wild Wings&Weck. It was a hole in the ground (literally) in East Lansing where you had to go down some dark dank stairs to get in, get carded, whatever and then go have the hottest wings you ever had in your life. We were young then and could polish off 50 at a time. (as a team, not each) We had a lot of fun with this. Of course, if you're eating the fire wings you have to wash it down with some good weck, which we did. One evening, we decided some great music would be fun so we took our dollars over to the jukebox and proceeded to enter many many songs into the line up. I believe we were very confused and what ended up playing wasn't anything like the Pink Floyd we thought we selected - it was more like Jimmy Dean or someone like that. And I believe we put a lot of change in that jukebox - enough to croon and torture everyone in the bar for a good long time.
Anyway - there were about 6 flavors back then and we could eat the hottest ones. We'd sometimes be miserable the next day - because as you may know, the eating of wings that hot and drinking of that much beer must be atoned for, if you know what I mean.

Well, since then... BW3 has changed a bit. They've tried going more toward the "family" atmosphere (even though it's still a bar - go figure) and they've changed their name... I don't even remember right now what it's called because I still call it BW3. They're everywhere now, not just a few cities - they're a big franchise now. It's just not the same.

I still love their wings though I can't eat the super fiery ones let alone 50 of them, and I can't put away the weck like I used to either. My hollow leg filled in at about age 28 I think, and that was the end of that era.

But now, you see... It's a brand new era. Because now I have discovered Sushi. And sushi is nicer yet with a white wine. Vouvray, preferably - or at least for now.
And friends. Must eat sushi with friends. Especially the roll your own kind. We're creating some very fond memories surrounding sushi these days, and it's hard to imagine a week going by without a sushi/wasabi hit of some kind or another.

A couple of weeks ago JustPat and I were planning to get together, discussing what to do, and I mentioned sushi. She suggested BW3 and the theretofore unthought of occurred - I could NOT decide. Sushi or BW3. My brain crapped right out at that intersection.

Because of some outside circumstances, we ended up having neither that evening but I was speechless to find that my tastes have changed enough that choosing between hot wings and sushi was actually difficult.

In other news, Amazing Man's little turquoise blue hoopy now belongs to Mel Trotter. We thank the little blue car for its loyalty and service. We say keep up the faith, little blue hoopy and run well for someone else now!

3 Comments:

  • oh the sacriledge . . . white wine with sushi??? No No NO !!!! Saki is nectar of the gods!!!! :) Kat over at http://datinggod.typepad.com

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/16/2004 4:49 PM  

  • Hmmm...maybe we ought to try the saki? I still think we can't go wrong with something we like as well as Vouvray.

    Yeah, it's great to have those kind of cognitive collisions, isn't it girlie!!

    By Blogger Pat, at 8/16/2004 7:27 PM  

  • just sos ya know . . . after reading this entry of yours I felt a mad craving for hothothot wings and so I went and scarfed up a big plate of them . . . today I curse you oh captainwow and the power of your suggestion :) Kat - still over at http://datinggod.typepad.com

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/17/2004 4:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home