Captainwow

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Eat More Weigh Less?

Ok I have to call Horse Poop on the cereal diets. HEL-LOOO-OO!!! If I eat two meals a day of cereal a day instead of two regular meals a day then of course I'll lose weight! Um... duh? Of course I'll lose 10 pounds! But if anything would drive me to Potato Chips and eating at McDonald's and Burger King, that would do it! If I ate two meals a day of cereal for two weeks I'd be craving grease and fat and sugar and YUM YUM STUFF MY FACE NOW!!! That's why they call it yo yo dieting.

Anyway, we shouldn't fool ourselves thinking that the food industry has our best interest in mind with these diet ideas or any other ad campaign. Their interest is for us to buy more. Always buy more. And if we won't buy more, they'll re package it and call it "more convenient" or "new and improved" or "low fat" or whatever else and charge more for it. That way they can keep making more money every year. Because the growth of the population in the U.S. isn't catching up with the growth in profit margins that stockholders in the food industry demand. But we don't get that memo with the itsy bitsy teeny weeny yellow polka dot bikini commercial.

Instead, the message is this: Fat is bad. If you are fat, (and you probably are, according to your doctor's weight charts) or even if you are a little overweight, you will never be taken seriously or be enviable or healthy or happy. But please, whatever you do - buy more of our product. We desperately need you to buy our product so we'll say whatever it takes to get you to feeling like buying it! We'll make the food behave so that you don't have to have any restraint or think for yourselves. We'll take the fat out, we'll boost the protein, whatever the latest diet fad is, we'll outfit our product for it. Keep on eating, America!

I'm not saying anything really new here, but it's been really on my mind lately that if we go on living an unexamined life, and never think twice about the messages we receive from advertisers and other media, we're in a heap of trouble.

7 Comments:

  • True, very true.

    (Can't think of anything that rhymes with true.)

    ((Except shoe.))

    (((Moo.)))

    ((((flew.))))

    Ok, I'm really going to stop now.

    By Blogger spookyrach, at 5/08/2007 2:58 PM  

  • ((Poo))

    ((Boo))

    ((Hoo))

    I agree, it is something to think about. I always say consider the source when you are given information or advice.

    I do know I pay too little attention to what I eat.

    By Blogger annie, at 5/08/2007 6:41 PM  

  • Funny you should broach the topic of diet. I just purchased the South Beach Diet book, and I love what he has to say. Makes sense to me. I haven't actually done the diet yet, but I'll keep y'all updated on how it goes.

    By Blogger Mawci, at 5/09/2007 12:58 PM  

  • you always have a different take on stuff! :o)

    AND this is your first mothers day coming up ... has Sam been out shopping? *grin*

    By Blogger Saija, at 5/11/2007 10:24 PM  

  • I so totally agree, I always say if you want to lose weight, zip your lip... Why don't you rant about the resizing of womens clothing too while you're at it. They make clothes so much bigger, just so your can still say your a size whatever.
    HA! My WV is yeekey! How appropriate. Now somebody jump in and try and rhyme that one.

    By Blogger Lori, at 5/13/2007 4:45 PM  

  • Have you considered the possibility that your cereal diet is also affecting your moods? Okay, the obvious rhyme for Ayekah's WV is "geeky" unless "yeekey" is pronounced "YEE-kay." In that case it would be "alpha" (Greek A). Hee-hee-hee, I kill me!

    On another note, thanks for the update on Sam a few posts back. I have been somewhat less than regular (maybe I need a cereal diet) in my blog-reading habits the last several weeks. The last time I talked with our kids, Orion is now not only walking but running around the yard. He likes to dust off things with his hands (and then stick his hands in his mouth, of course).

    Well, I got a WV of "eiinz"--kind of a stressed German one, I suppose. BTW, I watched the clip from Anchorman. I think either I need more context or you are in fact bonkers.

    By Blogger little david, at 5/15/2007 9:20 PM  

  • Herpes Finally Gone, thanks to Dr. Utu for his Herbal Treatment.
    I had a sudden onset of cold sores and a new one was appearing each day. I was on primary immunosuppressant I noticed my body just can't fight the virus on its own. After five days of treatment and no success I suspected herpes I went for test and it was confirmed. God was my strength I met a doctor for treatment. He gave me Dr Utu's contact. I contacted him immediately, This medication was far amazing that within 24-48 hrs the blisters were crusting over. The swelling and redness was decreasing as well. I was on four weeks herpes medication which I completed before going for test. I went for herpes test and then again back to my doctor who confirmed me herpes negative it was really like a dream. What a relief! Feel Free to contact Dr Utu Email:- drutuherbalcure@gmail.com OR WhatsApp :- +2347032718477

    By Blogger John Williams , at 9/23/2019 2:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home