Captainwow

Monday, February 05, 2007

And Now, For Your Navel Gazing Pleasure

I read something the other day and I thought I'd put it out here. I imagine it might be interesting to you too.
The book I'm reading is called Every Day Blessings - The Inner Work of Mindful Parenting by Myla and Jon Kabat-Zinn. Maybe I talked about it before - I've been reading it awhile now. It takes a good long time to get through some of these books these days. But I seem to pick it back up and read just what I need that day.

It's a little long, enjoy:


" What is called for in the cultivation of mindfulness, and in mindful parenting, rather than judging, is discernment, the ability to look deeply into something and perceive distinctions keenly and with clarity. Discernment is the ability to see this and that, as opposed to this or that, to see the whole picture, and its fine details, to see gradations. Being discerning is an inward sign of respect for reality because we are taking note of subtleties as well as the gross outline of things, aware of complexity and mystery. There is a fairness in it, a rightness in it, because it is truer to the whole of reality...

So when we speak of mindfulness being a non-judgmental awareness, that does not mean that we don't see what is going on because we are refusing to perceive necessary and important distinctions. In fact, it is only through being non-judgmental that it might be possible to see and feel what is actually happening, past surface appearances and the filters of our own limited opinions, our likes and dislikes, beliefs, fears, our unexamined and sometimes unconscious prejudices, and our deep longing for things to be a certain way.

... A discerning awareness can hold even our own judging in mind and know it for what is is. We can observe this ingrained habit of mind with some degree of compassion, and not judge ourselves for bing so judgemental."


I like that last part so much! I think sometimes I want to be less judgemental and then I get all judgemental and harsh with myself for being judgemental! And I we all have a deep longing for things to be a certain way. But they rarely are, and so we are faced with a choice. Make up a reality for ourselves and then try to attain/preserve it, or accept reality as it is - or as much as we can know what it is - and adapt, change, and grow with it.


Anyway, there's something to put in your pipe and smoke on for a while, if you wish. I highly recommend the book.


Happy Day after the Super Bowl!

3 Comments:

  • Um, yeah, that is certainly something to think upon! I'm sorry I don't have a smarter response to this.

    By Blogger annie, at 2/05/2007 10:29 PM  

  • I remember when I was in high school that I thought it would be a learning experience to crawl around on my knees over the weekend. I am not sure if my parents thought I was nuts or not. My point was that we can become so used to our own perspective that it becomes very difficult to imagine the world differently. I didn't last the entire weekend, but I did see things from a different perspective. I had to think, "What if I were confined to a wheelchair?" for example.

    Most of the time it is very difficult to observe the world without judgment. I commend you for pondering the issue.

    By Blogger little david, at 2/05/2007 10:58 PM  

  • great post...

    smoking "it" now.

    we need more soul in our spirituality.

    By Blogger Steve, at 2/20/2007 2:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home