Captainwow

Sunday, November 13, 2005

Liquid Color

I just finished washing up after painting. Messy messy painting. Paint is a fascinating thing to me because I love color. Color is like music for me. It can be put together in an unending variety and cause a different effect every time. Over time I've learned that if I like a certain artists it's usually because I like their particular use of color. Every tiny nuance makes a different harmony. When I paint things I love using the paint. I may feel the urge to bathe my soul in it, but I don't want it all over my hands forever, so I usually wash it off.

Anyway, I painted a dresser and a changing table to match the crib we bought for the Little Dude. Kittery Pointe, this color is called. Whatever. I call it minty sage green. It's all shiny when it's wet then it dries to a nice eggshell and looks very yummy. It took two coats because the original color on the dresser was a dark dark blue and the changing table was a dark wood stain. The dresser was left in the basement by the previous owner and the changing table we picked up cheap at a second hand store. I bought cool brushed nickel knobs for the dresser and I'm very excited to have this small stage of "nesting" done.

But I sort of hated to be done too, because there's 3/4 of a gallon of paint left - all that wonderful color should be put somewhere to be looked at and drunk in, not tucked away in the paint closet. ::sigh:: Oh well.... someday an opportunity will present itself and I will slather it somewhere.

While I was working I listened to a program on WYCE called In the Spirit. They play songs with a spiritual tone to them on Sunday mornings. Then every few songs they ring some tibetan prayer bells and read a spiritual type quote. Several years ago I hate to admit that I would not have even listened to such a program. I might have thought that tibetan prayer bells summoned evil spirits and that the show was "Too New Agey".

But anyway, I listened to this radio show today and today they quoted people I never heard of. Which doesn't mean a lot because I don't know a lot. But the quotes were good. Like, one was about how forgiveness is a release for both parties, and a gift. True. Not earth shatteringly new or anything, just true. Most people who've been paying attention in life know this, so it is an Amen kind of statement, not an AHA! statement. And after that quote they played a song that said something like If you found you were wrong would you change? If you knew that you would really rock the boat by believing something else would you change? Or would you stay in your safe place and miss out because you had to be right?

Sounds like something Jesus might have said, if you ask me... and he probably would have said it to a religious person. Maybe to me...

So, even though I wasn't in church in the traditional sense this morning, I heard a good "message" in my basement while I spread yummy, minty sage green shiny liquidy paint on old wood and listened to the radio.

6 Comments:

  • There is something beautiful and poetic in finding glory in what some might consider a chore. I like your painting style :)

    By Blogger Running2Ks, at 11/13/2005 2:30 PM  

  • Captain Wow....

    I heard something was up in dallas...

    check out: femmemode.blogspot.com

    hmmmmmm.....

    :::::sigh:::::

    By Blogger FemmeMode, at 11/13/2005 5:45 PM  

  • I can't believe how exited I am getting about you and amazing man being parents. It was the best thing in the world for me and I want that for you as well.

    I hope we'll get pictures. Maybe by email if posting makes you nervous.

    Also another note of color... Kevmo has been writing up a storm. He's a good read.

    Take Care
    Michael

    By Blogger Michael, at 11/13/2005 7:49 PM  

  • It all sounds loverly! Glas you heard a good message.

    You know, we don't have basements where I live. Consequently, I am fascinated by them and sometimes think about moving up North just to get a basement!

    By Blogger annie, at 11/13/2005 8:02 PM  

  • Like Annie, we don't have basements either. Now I really want one!

    This was a really neat post!

    P.S. - I also don't have an attic. How un-gothically romantic is that?

    By Blogger spookyrach, at 11/14/2005 12:14 PM  

  • There's nothing like a good chore to bring up treasure from the spirit.

    By Blogger Pat, at 11/15/2005 12:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home