Captainwow

Monday, August 01, 2005

Campy Post

Saturday, on a whim, we threw everything in the car and camped for a night about an hour away. We found a really quiet campsite and enjoyed being out in the woodsy, cool, campfire air. Since we keep our camping gear fairly organized, it only took us about 40 minutes and a trip to the grocery store to get us on our way. In the morning we dragged our campy, smoke-smelly selves into Brandywine and had breakfast. It was a very nice retreat.

For bonus points, I grew an huge, triumphant ZIT on my chin! Probably one of the top five, ever! Oh ya, I'm feelin' real purdy.

We chased down a Phantom Campground, which was also exhilarating. We have a gazetteer map that has all the roads in the state and it shows where campgrounds and boat docks and things like that should be. We arrived at Deep Lake, looked around, and decided we'd keep one site in mind to come back to it if this other campground we wanted to check out wasn't better. Apparently, the map indications of campgrounds aren't always accurate. We drove half an hour into the boonies away from the camp we already were at, just to find that the campground we were looking for didn't exist. heh. So we drove all the way back and the site we originally had in mind was still open. On our wild goose chase, we did spot a probable Sand Hill Crane and a Do Not Excavate Buried Fabric sign. (huh??)

So, if you're ever looking for a campground at Head Lake in Mighigan - don't bother. It's not there.

12 Comments:

  • Congrats on that zit! Maybe you are actually growing a second nose??

    ~sighs~ We have not gone camping this summer. I am so ready to go.

    By Blogger Princess of Everything (and then some), at 8/01/2005 10:28 AM  

  • My husband & I experienced a few disappearing campgrounds while backpacking in Europe a decade ago now. I guess we made the mistake of using a guidebook that was a whole year out of date. Apparently enough time for a campground to cease to exist.

    Buried fabric? Rather odd indeed.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/01/2005 12:14 PM  

  • Ahh, the thought of camping in cool air. I am also desperate for camping, but think I will wait a few more weeks for August to boil its way out of here.

    The fabric thing - how terribly od.

    By Blogger spookyrach, at 8/02/2005 10:16 AM  

  • I actually googled "buried fabric" - I think it may have something to do w/ prison fences...
    Does that make it crystal clear?

    By Blogger Mawci, at 8/02/2005 11:55 AM  

  • have you heard of YURTS? that is a semi-kind of camping ... a wood floor beneath your feet and canvas, plus furniture ... :o) ... glad you had fun ...

    By Blogger Saija, at 8/02/2005 1:48 PM  

  • Here's a good picture of a sandhill crane:

    http://www.michiganaudubon.org/bakersanctuary/crane.htm

    The picture shows gray feathers but "during most of the year they appear reddish brown rather than gray." I bet that's what we saw.

    By Blogger Kevmo, at 8/02/2005 10:04 PM  

  • Groovy - spontaneous camping! Glad you had fun. I'm curious about the buried fabric too...

    By Blogger Pat, at 8/03/2005 7:01 AM  

  • I am really wanting an update on that zit! Did it get so large ya can't type??

    By Blogger Princess of Everything (and then some), at 8/04/2005 10:06 AM  

  • 7908 in02, 85 e8e
    8 VZN jstf;yu brlirg it.

    ig kidt lr[t grttom boggrt smf bottjret/

    zI fon't knoe ehst zI'm toing to fo.

    p.eaz [tsu gpt ,r/

    [rsvr
    - gom

    By Blogger Captainwow, at 8/04/2005 10:50 AM  

  • You are just such a nut.

    By Blogger Princess of Everything (and then some), at 8/05/2005 3:10 PM  

  • Did the zit go away?

    Those Yurt things are really pretty cool. Sometimes I think I'd like to get me one of the small ones and move into the thing and escape!!

    http://www.yurts.com/default.aspx

    By Blogger annie, at 8/05/2005 8:12 PM  

  • Paybacks suck! Now that I have made fun of you and your zit...I have a big ole honking zit on my cheek. I will not be surprised if it becomes a nose. ~sighs~

    By Blogger Princess of Everything (and then some), at 8/06/2005 10:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home