Captainwow

Sunday, May 23, 2004

The Ya Ya Sisterhood And More

Sunday Morning........... aaah.
I LOVE lazy Sunday mornings. This morning I got up and found my way down to the coffee pot. Did the morning coffee ritual and then sat and looked out at the soggy day for a while. I thought of Seattle's Son's prayer:

"Dear Jesus,
Thank you for the potty and the shower. You are so strong, you're like a Power Ranger.
Amen."

I've had a cold all week. Nasty thing. It teased me by getting better on Wednesday, so I thought I'd kicked this thing in the butt but NOO-ooo. So yesterday I stayed home and rested. Rested FIERCELY! I was The NAP WARRIOR!
My prayer this morning was:

Dear Jesus,
Thank you for DayQuil and NyQuil and White Blood Cells.
Make them so strong they work like Power Rangers!
Amen

I read the rest of The Secret Life of Bees yesterday - that thar is a purty durned good book! I'd recommend it. There's a lot of information sprinkled in there about bees. My dad did some bee keeping so most of the imagery was familiar, however I hadn't thought of much of it as a metaphor for life. There's so much in the book that I found painful to read, but like so many American Novels, it has a happy ending. I like how the women in the book don't simply snap with circumstances and let life continually beat them down. Together they find faith and inner strength that helps them journey together in community and they find ways to nurture each other and themselves.

I'm fortunate to be able to identify richly with that idea. Many of the women in my life - they are so strong, they are like Power Rangers! With Faith and Inner Strenth and Sisterhood and Motherhood and Community and much more - they haven't let life break and sap them. On the outside, they look like most women, but when no one's looking they fight evil and slay fire breathing dragons and rescue princes and princesses!
- And I get to hang out with them!
I have what the girl in the book found - a sort of Ya Ya Sisterhood, only without all the chanting and with only a little of the weirdness!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home