Captainwow

Monday, June 05, 2006

Tractor Beams and Hobbit Feet

Do y'all know that my dear Amazing Man has a blog!? Just in case you haven't been there yet, I'll give you a link: Kevmo's Blog. He's got a great style, and just in case you wanted to know even more about our lives, well there it is!

Also, I should give him credit for my last post title, "It's all fun and games until someone gets a prilosec in the eye." These words were actually spoken by him at our dinner table in answer to me when I asked him to please throw me a Prilosec.

I can't tell you how many blog titles have come about in this way. I also hear blog post titles in movie lines, Star Trek dialogue and in songs. But, you probably already knew that, unless of course you are not a geek and then you would have no idea about the Star Trek titles.

We've been watching a few of the old original Star Trek episodes on G4 (cable TV). It is so funny to watch. I remember when we thought all that equipment was SO HIGH TECH! Even when we watch The Next Generation, (I'll admit, we also catch some of those) the props don't look so amazingly futuristic anymore!

It made me think of Spirituality. How I do the best I can with the information I have. I look back at my journey and marvel at how advanced or cool or wise or spiritually evolved I once thought I was. And how 10 years from now I'll smile in amusement at what I'm thinking now. I'll shake my head and think how my ionic field deflector is so old school. I thought it was the next magic bullet to make me the best person possible. I thought it would take me to new spiritual depths (or highs) but now I know that while the ionic field deflector was a good idea in it's time, the ionic arch disperser is really the thing now. Because now I know that deflecting the field was so short sited. The Arch must be dispersed for a much better result!

It makes me have more compassion for myself on this journey. Gandalf said it in The Lord of the Rings: "Even the wisest cannot see all ends." Even when I think I've got things pretty much lined up and contained in my cosmosis, something happens to remind me that I'm just me, with my big existential hobbit feet, on an adventure that even I don't understand.

6 Comments:

  • well said, wowser!

    By Blogger Steve, at 6/05/2006 4:01 PM  

  • Yep, well said.

    As a fringe, woefully uncommitted and occassionally lapsed trekie, I gotta know - which do you like better? The Original or the Next Generation?

    By Blogger spookyrach, at 6/05/2006 5:47 PM  

  • I'll agree: very well said!

    (BTW, I enjoy reading Kevmo's blog. I just never comment on it. It makes me smile when he writes about you and Sam!)

    By Blogger annie, at 6/05/2006 8:09 PM  

  • I'll agree: very well said!

    (BTW, I enjoy reading Kevmo's blog. I just never comment on it. It makes me smile when he writes about you and Sam!)

    By Blogger annie, at 6/05/2006 8:09 PM  

  • I am imagining an evening spent with you and Kevmo, playing games while Sam naps. I imagine that it would be dangerously funny--we might laugh our butts off. Cat and I love playing games, and you two seem to be delightful.

    By Blogger little david, at 6/05/2006 11:51 PM  

  • Yeah, I think that's a good analogy. What's amazing to me is that the God I believe in actually thinks I'm great in all those stages, even though I look back on my so-called genius and wince from embarrassment. That's why I'm not God, and God is. Maybe he's looking for something beyond deflectors and arches. Maybe it's simply ions...

    By Blogger Pat, at 6/16/2006 10:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home