Captainwow

Monday, December 12, 2005

Soccer Games and Steering Wheels

I dreamed the other night I was an excellent soccer player. After a terrific game in which I made lots of headshots that went right into the goal net, I ran around the stadium, giving everyone high fives. Then I went through an amazing buffet line full of incredible food and at the end of the line I stood with my plate full of food, eating and talking with Sister Virginia, the nun who teaches my class at the Dominican Center all about the soccer game.

In other news, a friend and I were talking today about how driving in Michigan winters there's a thing some of us do where we let go of the steering wheel for a second to allow the car to find its own way out of a potential spin or slide. I don't know if everyone does this, but I imagine most people do. I once freaked out an Oklahoma friend by doing that, as she was brand new to Michigan weather and couldn't for the life of her fathom why I would let go of the steering wheel to correct a slide. Letting go of control actually gains control, in that case, and it occurred to me this afternoon while talking with my friend that life is a little like that too. Sometimes when we sense we're going into a tailspin it's better to loosen up a bit rather than try too hard to control things.

As the Kevmo and I go fishtailing into this phase of our lives called parenting, I can sense that we're both "gripping the wheel" a little more loosely and having a more trusting and relaxed attitude about things.

9 Comments:

  • Excellent metaphor. Reminds me of the butterflies you set free.

    On a literal note, I hate driving in winter. And my car has ABS, which I keep forgetting as I pump and try to remember what direction to steer ;)

    By Blogger Running2Ks, at 12/12/2005 7:35 PM  

  • I love your metaphor too.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/12/2005 8:33 PM  

  • Of course I first need to ask if you took your shirt off after the winning goal?

    I like the gripping the stearing wheel too tight. Excellent.


    Take Care
    Michael

    By Blogger Michael, at 12/12/2005 8:35 PM  

  • Congratulations on starting the relaxing of the grip on the steering wheel process. You may as well get used to it now. Parenting presents a lot of opportunity to practice the concept!

    I'm not sure I could let go like that while driving.

    I have this feeling that your dreams will continue to be, shall we say, interesting as your pregnancy progresses!

    By Blogger annie, at 12/12/2005 9:54 PM  

  • AWESOME post!! It's neat and interesting how some of your recent dreams seem to involve many people cheering with/for you, lots of joy and excitement.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/13/2005 10:53 AM  

  • I really liked this post. Relaxing the grip....sounds like something a mother should get tatooed on her forehead. Maybe it would make for less wrinkles in the long run!

    By Blogger Hope, at 12/13/2005 6:36 PM  

  • is that baby boy of yours making you guys so reflective and smart already? :o) ...

    and i loved the songs you posted on the previous blogs ...

    but i am tired now ... must go grab some zzzzzzzzzz's ...

    "pats pregnant belly on her way out"

    By Blogger Saija, at 12/13/2005 11:27 PM  

  • So, when things slip out of my control...
    just let "it" go...and watch "it" straighten out?

    That takes faith in something greater than you can see, doesn't it?

    By Blogger Steve, at 12/14/2005 11:46 AM  

  • This is such a cool post! And I am soooo glad I don't have to drive on the ice very often!

    By Blogger spookyrach, at 12/14/2005 1:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home