Captainwow

Sunday, December 18, 2005

Open Mouth. Insert Foot

I was single until 34, and that meant that if I wanted to do life, I needed to accomplish many things on my own. Which I was mostly OK with but sometimes there were the harder things that seemed a little daunting. For instance, traveling alone was a little intimidating the first time. Buying a house, filing my own taxes most years, choosing an insurance company, getting a job, learning how to use Excel, buying cars, lighting the pilot light in the water heater... Things like this.

One of the things I used to say to myself whenever I attempted something big and new was "People a lot dumber than me do this every day. It can't be that bad."
That sort of kept the fear of the unknown and the feeling stupid from tying me up in knots. Especially with buying a house and solo travel.

I later found that it really was a dialogue that should remain an internal one. Thankfully I was among friends (JustPat and the Kevmo) who love me and think my foibles are sometimes quite hilarious when this little pearl of wisdom came crashing out of my mouth. Even if my intentions were to be encouraging, it doesn't come out so well when said like this:
"People a lot dumber than you do this all the time! It can't be that bad!"

I swear, it's amazing I have any friends at all.

** for those of you with an eagle eye you may notice the age changed in the first paragraph from the time this first posted. Duh. I was not 35 when I got married, I was 34. The thing I'm unabashedly rather not so smart about: Math and NUMBERS!!

7 Comments:

  • Hee hee! Makes you think maybe you shouldn't even tell yourself that, doesn't it?

    I admire your spunk.

    By Blogger annie, at 12/18/2005 6:42 PM  

  • Aw, that's kind of funny. Something I would have (ok definitely did) said.

    By Blogger Running2Ks, at 12/19/2005 4:00 PM  

  • So funny, reminds me what I told myself before Labor......Women have been having babies for years and years.....centuries even...yikes...! Rosie's due date was Feb. 20 1992...I remember Christmas with her in my belly! Kinda have more sympathy for Mary heh!
    Brenda

    By Blogger brenda, at 12/19/2005 10:33 PM  

  • LOL!!!

    That's a great post! :+)

    By Blogger Steve, at 12/20/2005 10:57 AM  

  • ha ha ha!

    Whatever works!

    By Blogger spookyrach, at 12/21/2005 4:11 PM  

  • It is always important to remember that everyone is dumb about something. Even the smartest person you know can be woefully ignorant in some areas that most people take for granted.

    Now for another subject. How come you haven't visited my site to post a segment in the ongoing, many-authored story? Drop by; you'll have fun!

    By Blogger little david, at 12/21/2005 6:30 PM  

  • Your foibles are teeny and cute!!

    Really, I think your self talk has led you to more successes than foibles. You're one brave girlie.

    By Blogger Pat, at 12/28/2005 6:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home