Captainwow

Thursday, August 18, 2005

Back to School

Soon I will begin this program: Spiritual Formation at the Dominican Center at Marywood. My goal is to become a spiritual companion or a spiritual director. I'm beginning to like the sound of "companion" better, but I guess I'm not sure yet exactly what the diff is. (I'll soon find out) Spiritual Direction is something rather new to me, but is familiar to most catholics I think. Many protestants are beginning to catch on to this really helpful part of the spiritual journey too. I first heard about it when I attended a 2 day Day Away retreat at Marywood. (I highly recommend it if you live in the area) They asked me if I'd like any spiritual direction while there, so I chose to speak with one, whom I later began to refer to as "The Oracle." She shared a lot of intuition, widsom and helpful insights with me about my life in that transitional phase. Having just gotten married and quit a job I'd had for 10 years, it was a weird time for me and it was helpful to talk with her during that time. I continued seeing her monthly for Spiritual Direction, and I'm sure it will continue to be helpful as time goes on.

Anyway, I started looking into the classes at Marywood, and felt pretty excited about the Spiritual Formation program. It evoked something in me similar to when I explored the possiblity of earning a Master of Spiritual Nurture at Mars Hill Graduate School - studying with Dan Allender. However, that program would have taken 2 years and cost tens of thousands. So I said ixnay on the Astersmay and continued down the path I was on. The idea of helping people grow spiritually is very exciting to me. It seems to fit my personality and makeup. So when I began to learn about the formation program at Marywood, which is practically just down the street, and much more affordable, I got pretty excited about it. That's not to say I think I'm more spiritually evolved than everyone else and have buckets of wisdom just waiting to dump out on everyone, just that at least learning more about it seems like a very exciting first step.

So, if you're like me, this quasi syllabus will make you drool:

with Phase I -
16 units:
1. Comtemplative Prayer
2. Biblical Spirituality
3. St. Anthony & Desert Spirituality
4. Rule of St. Benedict & St. Scholastica
5. Ignation Spirituality
6. Theology of Discernment
7. St. Francis of Assisi & St. Clare
8. Meister Eckhart, OP & Catherine of Siena, OP
9. The Beguines: Women's Movement of the Middle Ages.
10. continuation
11. Integrating the Journey
12. The Cloud of Unknowing
13. St. Teresa of Avila & St John of the Cross
14. John Calvin & Reformed Spirituality
15. John Wesley
16 Thomas Merton and Closing Session

Are you jealous yet?

9 Comments:

  • AGH!!!

    I can take 12 hours at my school and work and take your classes too!!! Right?!?!?! AGH!!!!!!!

    misery.

    By Blogger Headless-in-GR, at 8/18/2005 2:08 PM  

  • Ayekah, I did read that book - back when I had no idea what "spritiual direction" meant.
    I'll be re reading it in the future. thanks for the tip though.

    By Blogger Captainwow, at 8/18/2005 2:12 PM  

  • That sounds very exciting and interesting! I do have to admit I am little jealous (but I'll get over it)! I think you'll make a great spirtual director/companion!

    You are just blossoming right and left! I am looking forward to reading all about it as you walk this path!

    !!!!!!!!!!! (Can you tell I am so excited for you?)!!!!!!!!!

    By Blogger annie, at 8/18/2005 7:44 PM  

  • an oracle-in-training.

    cool :)

    By Blogger ~pen~, at 8/19/2005 12:03 PM  

  • Haven't read that one... will add it to the list! thanks! :o)

    By Blogger Captainwow, at 8/19/2005 4:45 PM  

  • Yes I'm jealous.

    By Blogger Constance, at 8/22/2005 5:52 AM  

  • I don't even know enough about it to be jealous, but I am anyway. It sounds incredible!

    By Blogger spookyrach, at 8/22/2005 12:37 PM  

  • ooh, very cool.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/22/2005 8:43 PM  

  • drooling, drooling - so wonderful for you - i know this will come at some stage for me, but i'd love to jump full into it right now.

    enjoy every minute!

    thanks for your e-ville comments on my blog! :)

    By Blogger bobbie, at 8/23/2005 5:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home