Captainwow

Thursday, August 18, 2005

Back to School

Soon I will begin this program: Spiritual Formation at the Dominican Center at Marywood. My goal is to become a spiritual companion or a spiritual director. I'm beginning to like the sound of "companion" better, but I guess I'm not sure yet exactly what the diff is. (I'll soon find out) Spiritual Direction is something rather new to me, but is familiar to most catholics I think. Many protestants are beginning to catch on to this really helpful part of the spiritual journey too. I first heard about it when I attended a 2 day Day Away retreat at Marywood. (I highly recommend it if you live in the area) They asked me if I'd like any spiritual direction while there, so I chose to speak with one, whom I later began to refer to as "The Oracle." She shared a lot of intuition, widsom and helpful insights with me about my life in that transitional phase. Having just gotten married and quit a job I'd had for 10 years, it was a weird time for me and it was helpful to talk with her during that time. I continued seeing her monthly for Spiritual Direction, and I'm sure it will continue to be helpful as time goes on.

Anyway, I started looking into the classes at Marywood, and felt pretty excited about the Spiritual Formation program. It evoked something in me similar to when I explored the possiblity of earning a Master of Spiritual Nurture at Mars Hill Graduate School - studying with Dan Allender. However, that program would have taken 2 years and cost tens of thousands. So I said ixnay on the Astersmay and continued down the path I was on. The idea of helping people grow spiritually is very exciting to me. It seems to fit my personality and makeup. So when I began to learn about the formation program at Marywood, which is practically just down the street, and much more affordable, I got pretty excited about it. That's not to say I think I'm more spiritually evolved than everyone else and have buckets of wisdom just waiting to dump out on everyone, just that at least learning more about it seems like a very exciting first step.

So, if you're like me, this quasi syllabus will make you drool:

with Phase I -
16 units:
1. Comtemplative Prayer
2. Biblical Spirituality
3. St. Anthony & Desert Spirituality
4. Rule of St. Benedict & St. Scholastica
5. Ignation Spirituality
6. Theology of Discernment
7. St. Francis of Assisi & St. Clare
8. Meister Eckhart, OP & Catherine of Siena, OP
9. The Beguines: Women's Movement of the Middle Ages.
10. continuation
11. Integrating the Journey
12. The Cloud of Unknowing
13. St. Teresa of Avila & St John of the Cross
14. John Calvin & Reformed Spirituality
15. John Wesley
16 Thomas Merton and Closing Session

Are you jealous yet?

12 Comments:

  • I love Marywood! You will love this course and especially since you are p.g. I don't dig Wesley much, but to each his own.....Margaret Guenther has a good book called Holy Listening: The art of Spiritual Direction. She's a great writer and you made find in useful somewhere down the line, when you get to come up for air during your class time. many blessings on your new journey!!

    By Blogger Adinah, at 8/18/2005 1:21 PM  

  • AGH!!!

    I can take 12 hours at my school and work and take your classes too!!! Right?!?!?! AGH!!!!!!!

    misery.

    By Blogger Headless-in-GR, at 8/18/2005 2:08 PM  

  • Ayekah, I did read that book - back when I had no idea what "spritiual direction" meant.
    I'll be re reading it in the future. thanks for the tip though.

    By Blogger Captainwow, at 8/18/2005 2:12 PM  

  • That sounds very exciting and interesting! I do have to admit I am little jealous (but I'll get over it)! I think you'll make a great spirtual director/companion!

    You are just blossoming right and left! I am looking forward to reading all about it as you walk this path!

    !!!!!!!!!!! (Can you tell I am so excited for you?)!!!!!!!!!

    By Blogger annie, at 8/18/2005 7:44 PM  

  • an oracle-in-training.

    cool :)

    By Blogger ~m2~, at 8/19/2005 12:03 PM  

  • Domincan Aunt........:) and the labrynth. I get their newsletter too. I pop on their website alot to see what's shaking....I think you'll really like the program, I've been through one similar and it really opens up your mind (and your heart of course) Did you read
    Mystical Hope by Cynthia Bourgeault? It's a must read!

    By Blogger Adinah, at 8/19/2005 4:05 PM  

  • Haven't read that one... will add it to the list! thanks! :o)

    By Blogger Captainwow, at 8/19/2005 4:45 PM  

  • Yes I'm jealous.

    By Blogger Connie, at 8/22/2005 5:52 AM  

  • Well, you give much more than you know! I know that I personally have always taken a lot away from our conversations about life, God and such.

    By Blogger JustMe, at 8/22/2005 12:07 PM  

  • I don't even know enough about it to be jealous, but I am anyway. It sounds incredible!

    By Blogger SpookyRach, at 8/22/2005 12:37 PM  

  • ooh, very cool.

    By Anonymous peripateticpolarbear, at 8/22/2005 8:43 PM  

  • drooling, drooling - so wonderful for you - i know this will come at some stage for me, but i'd love to jump full into it right now.

    enjoy every minute!

    thanks for your e-ville comments on my blog! :)

    By Blogger bobbie, at 8/23/2005 5:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home