Captainwow

Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Whyfore Art Thou Blogging?

Spellchecker wants this title to be: Whooper Art Thou Flogging? - I like that too.

Recently I have read a few people's posts about when they started blogging and why and what it did for them.

It occurred to me I don't think I've ever really explained my title. I think that in a couple of posts along the way I've stated that I started doing this because I thought TallSkinnyKiwi was cool and Real Live Preacher and I just wanted to practice writing so I did.

For me, it has been a little like adding a room to the house where people come and go and I can connect with them some or not, sometimes they don't come back for a long time, sometimes they come around a lot. I really really enjoy that part of the blogosphere.

Captainwow was a psychic cat in a Science Fiction short story included in a book called The Galaxy Reader. It was published in 1958. The Kevmo read me this book one time at my house when we were dating. We laughed our heads off.
The cat in the book fought space dragons with a human partner using psychic powers. (It reminded me of prayer and spiritual warfare.) His name was Captainwow. I thought that was cool and right about then was when I started this blog. Later, I got a happy meal at McDonalds and that was the arrival of the Mascot Captainwow. (see profile photo) He has now been all over the world and is still exploring this part of the galaxy.

My writing teachers always said "Write write write!" Anne Lamott inspired me also in her book Bird by Bird. Write write write and write some more. Don't not do it because you think you won't get published, do it because you like it. So I have been doing that. No, I don't expect to get published. I was published once in Highlights for Kids - I can't remember what year now, but I have a copy around here somewhere. I wrote a short story about how the lion got its mane. A teacher sent it in to them and they published it.

Writing this blog has been good for me, and I think that in small ways over the year and a half or so that I've been doing this that I may have improved just a tiny bit. Or at least settled into my groove some. I don't get a ton of traffic, but that's fine with me. Sometimes I connect with folks - they can relate to what I write and I really like grooving on that. Sometimes we aren't on the same page at all... and that's OK too.

Usually when I write a post, I don't read it again once it's off the main page. If a comment pops up later and I don't understand it I'll read my post again to see where they're coming from but mostly it goes out of my brain. Last night I read through the whole thing. Man, is there a lot of stuff there, I can't believe it. I figured this would be one of those things I started and never finished. Like all the diaries and journals I've started and never wrote in regularly.

These were some of the posts that stood out to me:

This one really did happen. I'd forgotten it until I read this and I cracked up all over again.

letter to hershey's HA!

This Theory Proves I have watched too much Star Trek at some point in my life.

Right before our WEDDING!!!! :o) I noticed with this re read that I really never said much about the wedding. I didn't want to be too very bridal on here.

And this occurred to me also: There were some bloggers in that wedding. Headless did an amazing job on the flowers. JustPat and Stinky were bridesmaids. Studiobeerhorst wrote and sang a most beautiful song and various members of the family were involved also - flower girl, guest book attendant... (another would have been decorator but that went funny because of catering weirdness). Ramblings' Son J was the Ring Bearer. PicklO's were the host and hostesses with the mostesses. Not to mention lots of other people who are, shall we say, blogless but just as wonderful.

We all knew each other before our blogging days. Surely we know each other better for it too.

What fun!

7 Comments:

  • i love anne lamott - traveling mercies is one of my all-time favorite books.

    so favorite-ish, i lent it out.

    now i want it back.

    dag.

    By Blogger ~pen~, at 1/27/2005 12:11 PM  

  • Whopper of a flogging.

    I got the giggles.
    You don't need any practice writing. Please don't stop. I just meant that what you write is purr..fect.

    It was way cool hearing about your name. With all those funny links I do believe its time for an explore.

    You are a Wow.

    Take Care
    Michael

    By Blogger Michael, at 1/27/2005 12:14 PM  

  • Thanks Michael - you're a purrfectly wonderful reader. And Martha... I have an extra copy of that book if you need it! haha

    By Blogger Captainwow, at 1/27/2005 12:17 PM  

  • Even from way back in our nose bead blowing days, you have always been one of my favorite most coolest writers. Whether or not your words ever reach the world on the pages of a bound book, you are forever published in my little brain!

    By Blogger Mawci, at 1/27/2005 3:18 PM  

  • i enjoyed reading about the "why" of your blog journey ... it is good to sit back after a bit and just reflect on things ... it puts our life into perspective ... it's wonderful to be able to share thoughts and our spiritual walk and warfare with others ... God Bless you REAL GOOD "CaptainWOW"... :o) ...

    By Blogger Saija, at 1/27/2005 3:19 PM  

  • Highlights!!? You were published in Highlights for Kids!!? Oh. Man. You rock.

    Didja have to sneak your copy of the of the doctor's office?

    By Blogger spookyrach, at 1/27/2005 5:00 PM  

  • Yay! We're a bloggin' family!

    One big happy frickin'-frackin'-frockin', bliggin'-blaggan'-bloggin' bloggily-bloggity-familty!

    fla! bli! Bla! YAY!!!!

    I like us!

    By Blogger Headless-in-GR, at 1/28/2005 10:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home