Captainwow

Friday, December 10, 2004

Settling for Flying

Last night with friends I told a story about how once someone told me if I ate enough chicken wings I'd be able to fly. I believed that of course since I was only about 4. So I ate the wings of chickens and tried flying. Tried and tried and tried. Jumping off of things and flapping my arms and trying to soar. It makes for a pretty funny visual - little Captainwow flapping away and crashing to the ground over and over. Pathetic, but funny in an "Aren't little kids so cute and precious?" kind of way.

This morning I got to thinking about that and how I don't really remember figuring it out. Seemed like the failure to fly didn't really affect me. There was no disillusionment or depression over it, I just must have stopped trying at some point. But I did try. And I think that is kind of cool. When's the last time I tried anything that impossible? When did I last try and try and try?

You thought I was going to get all metaphorical on you , didn't you? Go somewhere deep and thoughtful. No... Actually I'm about to confess something. You see I have an addiction - well, ANOTHER addiction that maybe you didn't know about yet. Amazing Man and I got a great wedding gift a little while back and it was a game called Settlers of Catan. Maybe you've heard of it. It's way fun and very addicting. We love it so much we found a way to play it ON LINE! TOGETHER! Oh yes, it's really that bad. So, the last time I tried and tried and kept on trying to do the impossible is in Settlers of Catan Online. I lose. All. The. Time. It's so pathetic, and not in a cute and funny way. But I love to play, and I get so hopeful, and I just never win! See, I know how to play the game. I know how to play it quite well. It's like Black Jack or the Lottery. I keep thinking "This time, THIS time I will WIN! I just have to do BETTER and try HARDER!" But no. I believe my title might now be "Uncapable". Seriously. (the programmer can't spell, but he's a genius, so we let it slide)

Oh, it's so very sad. But fun.

Meanwhile, I still love Chicken Wings. BW3 will always have a special place in my heart. I don't try to fly anymore, I just play Settlers.

3 Comments:

  • oh my god - I used to think that too! I always wanted the wings when we'd have chicken for dinner :) But I also believd that tying a towel on also could help me get some lift, as well as jumping off of things and hoping reeeeeeeaaaaaaallllllllly hard, but I never flew. Except in my dreams. I always flew in my dreams . . . and sometimes still do :)

    By Blogger Katherine, at 12/10/2004 12:16 PM  

  • For that blog entry you get 2 wheat & 3 rock.

    Kevmo

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/10/2004 1:34 PM  

  • (cryptically) "I took the test..."

    By Blogger Headless-in-GR, at 12/10/2004 1:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home