Captainwow

Sunday, November 07, 2004

Fresh Air, Less Clutter

Ah yes... I've just Picked Up the upstairs. This is not to be confused with Cleaning - which happened the last time we had company. Picking Up helps me feel less stressed. Cleaning does too but Picking Up the Clutter helps me get to the next cleaning day and not feel completely out of whack. Today, Picking Up is coupled with Airing Out. I opened all the windows even though it is cold, just to get some fresh air moving through. Fresh Air + Less Clutter = Happier Me.

Picked up 4 pairs of shoes just lying on the floor in my office. Well, 5, if you count the slippers too. Why not just put them in the closet where they belong? I don't know, I just don't. I kick them off then I sit down and check my email, read the blogs, whatever....

And as I dumped the shoes into the closet I got all metaphorical on myself and thought about how a significant amount of energy is spent in my life Managing The Clutter - both physical and existential. I Avoid The Clutter. I Deny The Clutter. I Push The Clutter Around and Live In The Clutter. I become Blind to the Clutter even though I continually Trip Over the Clutter. I live peacefully with some Clutter and Declare War on Other Clutter. Sometimes I need help with my Clutter but embarassment about my Clutter prevents me asking for help with my Clutter... I could go on and on.

Meanwhile, I'm always Creating More Clutter...

7 Comments:

  • Nothing like cleaning to conjur up spiritual metaphor. What a great visual of "baggage." I especially liked the "tripped over" clutter image.
    I've still got all that trim in my foyer (they haven't picked it up yet). Hard to believe I could get somehow used to all that stuff sitting there, but I have. This morning as I was getting it ready to be hauled off, I had this thought of an uncluttered foyer, and it was like a light went on in my soul. Kind of like Holy Spirit heart glimpses of freedom.
    Thanks for the great post Captain!

    By Blogger Pat, at 11/07/2004 4:36 PM  

  • Our front entry is a clutter trap.
    There is a small rug where we place our shoes on so that we do not bring in too much dirt.
    The rug is big enough for about 8 pairs of shoes. Unfortunately there usually about 14 pairs left in a clutter there. It takes a heroic effort during chore time for somebody to do more than staighten them.
    Many pairs are left next to the rug. We have been known to leave shoes that we no longer wear there for months.

    ... After reading your post I just had to remove those pairs of shoes that people seldom or never wear. I am now looking at an entry way with only 7 pairs of shoes. You can actually see the rug!

    Take Care
    Michael

    By Blogger Michael, at 11/07/2004 8:19 PM  

  • My high "i" friend -

    You've inspired me by your straightening vs. cleaning - I decided this morning I'm not going to wait for just the right light fixture for the livingroom ceiling. I'll buy something affordable and reasonably attractive so I'm not staring at the wire and bare switch box anymore.

    Freedom!!!

    By Blogger Pat, at 11/08/2004 7:04 AM  

  • (Just wanted to say you had a funny comment on BC's site, but I didn't want to add my name to that argument - so HA! Funny!)

    By Blogger Headless-in-GR, at 11/08/2004 11:06 AM  

  • On the other hand, I actually enjoy my friends' clutter sometimes. It is like pieces of them sitting out for me to see. It's like they aren't afraid I'll look too closely and judge them by their clutter; they are sharing an intimate piece of their lives with me. I like your clutter, wow!

    By Blogger Mawci, at 11/08/2004 4:49 PM  

  • Clutter triggers my ADD. I'll be talking or thinking and walk into clutter...and...can't...what...was...they...um...ah...huh?

    By Blogger Headless-in-GR, at 11/08/2004 9:44 PM  

  • hmmmm... It seems to me that the solution to my clutter problem is the fact that I HAVE TOO MUCH STUFF! I spend much more time, engergy and money on making my life as comfortable and fashionable as possible than caring about and for other people. I think this is one of the main reasons that American christianity is IMPOTENT. Oops, this wasn't supposed to get theological. Jesus forgive me anyway for my clutter!

    St D

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/09/2004 3:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home