Captainwow

Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Taste And Tell

I have thought a few times about how interesting it is that children experience life through all their senses. All five.

This can be both adorable and disgusting. Apparently not without lasting value though. Simply mentioning certain things brings the memory of the taste back quite strongly though I can't for the life of me remember actually tasting some of these things. Some of them I do, but some of them I really don't. I must have tasted them though, because I know how they taste.

They say smell is the most powerful memory evoker. I'd say that's true. Taste might be a close second. Let's give this theory a whirl...

Remember how concrete tastes?
Crayons?
Kleenex?
Paint
Boogers
Grass
Rocks
Earwax
Cotton sheets
Soap
Metal
Wood
Dandelions
Pine needles
Birthday cake candles
Play Dough
Paper
Dog Food
Teddy Bear's Ear

What's in Your Taste Archives?


7 Comments:

  • my baby blanket, well water, liver, sand, Lake Michigan, carpet, tupperware.... oh this is fun!

    By Blogger Mawci, at 8/18/2004 10:23 AM  

  • oh ya, I remember tupperware....

    By Blogger Captainwow, at 8/18/2004 10:34 AM  

  • canned cat food (we didn't have a dog when I was a kid)

    battery terminal

    gasoline

    vasoline

    window sill (oops, probably lead paint too)

    By Blogger Pat, at 8/18/2004 7:01 PM  

  • I was deprived - I was a goody-goody kid. I never did anything I wasn't allowed to do. I don't remember any of these taste - but I do remember the SMELL of tupperware...

    By Blogger Headless-in-GR, at 8/19/2004 3:52 PM  

  • Oh yeah! And, a Barbie doll's foot. And, doll hair.

    By Blogger Pat, at 8/19/2004 6:54 PM  

  • wow that brought back memories, your whole list and a few more spring to mind, the dandelion brings back vivid memories of that 'milk' that gets on your hands and tastes so very bitter.

    and smells, white glue, paste, that 3 piece pink/white/orange carbon paper, man that takes me back to 4th grade. the smell of plastics like they used on barbie doll houses instantly reverts me to childhood.

    and i entered my friend's grandparents home last week and it smelled just like my grandparent's home did - i almost cried.

    By Blogger bobbie, at 8/27/2004 5:17 PM  

  • LOL! i sure remember them, alright. my 'sister' remembers the taste of poo.

    By Blogger LonaDay, at 8/28/2004 7:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home