Captainwow

Thursday, March 22, 2007

How Very Zen of Me

I was reading a book the other day and it had a section in there about some Zen practices that apply to people like me. Meaning, simplicity, and not trying to multitask so much.

When sitting, just sit.
When walking, just walk.
When eating, just eat.
etc...

I like this because I have believed for a long time that multitasking was mostly not so wonderful for me. Much of the time that I'm multitasking, I'm doing a few things not so well when in fact I maybe could be doing one thing really spectacularly. When Sam takes a nap I feel the need to make sure I use the time wisely and this by my own habits, means get the most done possible and if possible, do it all at the same time.

Obviously it's not practical for me to put wash in the washer and then stand there and watch it go. Usually, at least. It might be good now and again, for some therapeutic purposes, but generally , that would be silly. But when I was washing Sam's bottles every day, I would try hard to think to myself "I am washing THIS bottle, right now." To try to stay in the moment and not be so freaked out about trying to do it quickly so I could move on to the next thing. I can't say it always worked, but I tried it. When I did that, my body would be less tense, and I enjoyed the process a whole lot more.

I tried this while driving around doing errands the other day. I just drove. I kept thinking about other things like all the things I needed/wanted to do and then I would tense up. Soon I would realize that and say to myself "I'm just driving." My muscles would relax, my mind would calm down, and then we'd go through the process all over again. Red light, green light, WHAT IS THAT BASS TURD doing Riding my BUMPER!?!??? Wait! I'm driving, driving driving la la la...... I wasn't all that great at it actually.

But I have to say that particular exercise also wasn't entirely the best for that moment, because when I got home, I realized that in driving so intently, I forgot that I had intended to drive to Walgreens to pick up prints, not to my house!!

3 Comments:

  • I do so many things, at the same time, without even thinking. Sometimes I don't even have a memory of doing things? It scares me when I'm driving, as in, "Here I am already, how did I get here?"

    By Blogger Patti, at 3/23/2007 4:16 AM  

  • That is too funny, multi-task while you can, and do it mindlessly, because the older you get, you just "forget" for real, and end up at home without stopping at Walgreens. Admittedly there have been time when I am driving across town, and stop at a light and think to self, ?how did I get here?? Now, that's scary! Of course, I never forget to curse while driving though...

    By Blogger Lori, at 3/23/2007 7:40 PM  

  • Hmm... this kind of goes along with something I've been thinking about lately. Still thinking...

    By Blogger spookyrach, at 3/26/2007 3:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home