Captainwow

Monday, November 13, 2006

Holy Water Thinky Thoughts

Ok folks, you might want to get a cup of coffee or a beer or whatever, cause this is a long one. I'm thinking about some stuff that makes me feel like I'm drinking from a fire hose here, and I just thought I'd let you in on some of it.

Last night, we watched the movie What The Bleep Do We Know!?. If you haven't seen it yet, and are willing to have the top of your mind possibly blown off, then go for it.

We were talking afterward about how much of what is said in the movie is not new, but is ancient wisdom, but now some science is allowing room for some of this mystical stuff. A lot of it dovetails very neatly with a lot of other things I've been thinking/pondering/discussing/reading lately.

For instance, in the movie, the idea of water acting as a mirror and being "sensitive" to the vibes around it was talked about. Most people are aware that words have power. But one experiment shows some very interesting "signs" of that. A guy took bottles of water and wrote words on the bottle such as Thank You or Love and then took pictures of the water crystals as they froze. They formed very beautiful crystals very easily. He also took bottles of water and wrote things on them such as You Make Me Sick and took pictures as the crystals formed when that water was frozen. The result was a mass of unformed crystals that was not orderly at all. Go HERE if you want to see photos, read a little more about that.

This is not to say that Water has Consciousness but that water can be materially responsive to what is going on around it. The next question was, that if the human body is more than 50% water, then this can really make one think. What if what we say to ourselves, to each other, has an effect on the water in us? At least temporarily. And then, what if, over time our cells are being hydrated with this water? How does that affect us over time?

So when I get irritated and call my cat Dumbass maybe I'm molecularly affecting him even if he doesn't know what a dumbass is? hm..... (I wonder what that water crystal would look like?)

This could be at least a partial explanation for a lot of things, I guess.
It made me think of "Holy Water" in a different way. I've always sort of snorted at such a thought. Water blessed by some Priest or Holy Person is going to be different - um.... HOW?
But maybe? Maybe it is?

And maybe people blessed by you or by me - can be affected on the molecular level because of this. This isn't an entirely new thought to me... I understand that blessings are good and that we can bless each other or pray for each other and send good warm fuzzy vibes to each other to make the world a better place. I thought of it in purely spiritual terms and to be honest I'm not sure I've had a huge amount of faith in it lately. Maybe I've gotten a little jaded.

Recently I read in a book that teaching our kids about sin should be a lot more about teaching them that we are all connected and that what we do affects each other - sometimes deeply. I buy into that. Some kids (myself included) don't simply want to do the "right thing" just because someone says it's the "right thing". Whoop - dee - doo. They're not wired that way. Some people are wired that way. I suppose at the child's level sometimes all they understand is that if you do that, it will affect you because I will make it affect you! However, if we mature as we should, we learn to care about what other people feel and to understand that we are not the only person in the universe.

A lot of times we're taught about Sin on a very Individualistic level. You do something that makes you feel guilty, you hide it. You go to the priest maybe in private and confess it. Or if you're protestant, you confess it to Jesus in Private. How nice and neat. Me and God. No one has to know. I've done this thousands of times. But what if we're taught about sin on a more connected level? I wonder how the bottle of water would react if I lied to it. I wonder if water would be the best lie detector ever? And what if our lies (or whatever else) affect us so much more than we realize. Not just our own selves but those around us who don't even know that anything is amiss?

Additionally I'm beginning to wonder if, theoretically, Spirit is what occupies the space between atoms electrons and protons and cells and molecules, and between us and between air molecules and between pollution molecules, then we are indeed very connected, and what we do affects each other a lot more than we might want to think. Quantum Physics leaves room for this. Science meets Spirit, so to speak.

This is not new to a lot of spiritualities, but I have always thought of it as "new agey". However, if science is finding these things to be more likely at least.... it makes it easier to fit my mind around it. Because I'm still stuck in that more rational place, where I want proof. I'm ok not having proof of God or of Jesus' deity and stuff like that. But I like it when someone can show that yes indeed, there is some biological or chemical or physical affect here for some of this mystical stuff. We don't understand it but we can see the affects. Maybe we're using microscopes instead of fleeces to ask for signs that we're on the right track.

3 Comments:

  • Wow. This is some cool thinking. Now I have to go and ponder...

    By Blogger spookyrach, at 11/14/2006 3:46 PM  

  • I've seen that movie--several times. It blows my mind too. Another thing I like in there is the saying that the one guy says at the beginning of the day. It goes along the lines of "I create my day." How you look at things, how you interpret things, respond to things, all that will create your day--as well as who you are. And you may be wired one way, but if you sort of "force it" over time you will be rewired! For me, it's working on the "forcing it" part. It's hard to keep it up.
    It's 7am. My day is just beginning. "I create my day" Let's see if it works.
    J. in Ypsilanti

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/15/2006 7:09 AM  

  • What if what we say to ourselves, to each other, has an effect on the water in us?

    This reminds me of Jesus' words, "Nothing outside a man can make him 'unclean' by going into him. Rather, it is what comes out of a man that makes him 'unclean.'" (Mark 7:15)

    Great thoughts, Captain.

    By Blogger Pat, at 11/21/2006 6:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home