Captainwow

Sunday, September 17, 2006

Stuff floating around

Now reading: Touching the Holy by Robert J. Wicks.

In love with: Target Baby Night Time Bath with Chamomile and Lavender. Gee, it smells terrific! And for 99 cents, it makes great body soap for Mom, too!

Recently read funny quote: "I don't' know if there are more idiots in management than anywhere else, but I'm sure that's where they're easiest to spot." - Scott Adams

Currently addicted to: Grape flavored drinks. Had a grape float the other day even! Welch's Grape soda and Vanilla Ice Cream! YUM!!

No, I'm not pregnant!

Recently discovered: I'm more about control and risk management than I realized. I want my life to be hassle free and chaos free and I expend a great deal of energy toward that unattainable goal. Partly the reason the thought of having another kid is hard to wrap my mind around is for that reason. Introducing new elements of unpredictable-ness and risk and MORE CHAOS!! AAAAAAAGH! How do I get off THAT hamster wheel now that I have become aware of it?

Recently read quote from aforementioned book, Touching the Holy by Robert J. Wicks: "As is the case with the call to simply be ourselves, listening to God through our own deep experiences of self is a basic lesson of spiritual discernment. Yet most of us don't do this. Instead, we often answer the secular calls to be successful, unique, secure, perfect, or right. We try to accomplish another goal with we believe will protect us from facing our dependence on God or keep us from experiencing life as a mystery we can't fathom or control. Maybe that is why one of the most essential challenges we face is to truly accept our limits. When we do this,k the opportunity for personal growth and development is almost limitless. And, as we might expect, accepting our limits is not very popular. In fact, it is countercultural."

I think that's the phase of life I'm in right now, is embracing ordinariness. I don't have to be some big success or ride on any laurels of previous successes or work at being perfect. It's almost as if I've been thinking most of my life that if I was unique and special enough everyone would love me. If I'm right, then I don't have to worry about uncertainty or doubt. If I'm secure then I don't have to worry about risk and chaos! Ya. See, most people think I'm really laid back, but in some ways I'm really really NOT laid back.

So there, that's a bunch of stuff floating around in my mind. Any of it make you go hmm?

4 Comments:

  • Part of it (but only part) has to do with the process of maturation. Having a child is a wonderful way to discover just how limited is our control of this world. Here's the thing: when we agree with God that we are ordinary and limited and imperfect, that's when we often get th ethrill of God working through us finite humans to do some really astounding things.

    Today my wife embraced me and said that I had done a great job with the missions committee and other church stuff (we just proposed raising $100,000 to assist a theological college in Kenya). And I thought, "What are you talking about? I haven't done a thing. God is at work." But I said, "Thanks. I love you, too."

    By Blogger little david, at 9/17/2006 5:02 PM  

  • Ok, so David makes a good point. BUT:

    Trapper Keepers are all about control and risk management. All. about. that.

    Maybe you should get two of them?

    By Blogger spookyrach, at 9/18/2006 2:28 PM  

  • You did make me go hmmmm, and then I went off and forgot to say so! I checked the book and the author out on Amazon but when I went into my local bookstore, I forgot his name.

    Wish I had something brilliant to say, but I don't....

    By Blogger annie, at 9/20/2006 7:22 PM  

  • Hmmm...
    Unique and special. Each of us is unique and special (and I appreciate those things in you that are, by the way). I think maybe we get hung up on the measuring stick. For twenty five years I've wanted God's love to be my ruler, but as time goes by I'm learning what is God's measure and what is my own - how I surmise that I'm measured by others.

    By Blogger Pat, at 10/01/2006 10:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home