Captainwow

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Isn't It Monday?

Well, we did it. We took Sam on his first long adventure. With construction, bad weather, Chicago traffic and poor Sam getting fed up with his car seat, we still feel it went really well! He was a good sport, and I hope hope hope he stays that easy to travel with! haha. Something tells me that's unlikely, but I still hope. We had a good time being family, and it was great for Sam and Grandma to hang out.

Grandma even babysat for an afternoon so we could go see a movie. We went and saw the Prairie Home Companion movie! We really enjoyed it. I nearly wet my pants a few times laughing. I grew up listening to Prairie Home Companion and am used to that dry style of humor. At one time (and maybe still) I knew the words to the (has your family tried them) Powder Milk Biscuit jingle, and there were a couple of monologues I knew almost by heart too. There was one about a Minnesota winter where a guy was up on his roof for some odd reasonthat I don't remember, and also because the snow was over the doors. He fell off the roof but he landed by their new clothes dryer vent so he stayed nice and warm in his little impromptu igloo and pondered his own life and death and came up with some profound meaning to it all - true Garrison Keillor style. That's all I remember about it, but I remember listening to it over and over again because I had taped it off the radio on my little tape recorder - remember those old top loading square ones with the big square buttons?
I had a microphone that went with it and I sat throught the radio show holding the microphone up to the radio speaker so I could tape the show. You had to push Play and Record at the same time. It must have been the crappiest sounding recording but I don't remember that about it, I just loved hearing it again and again. On the other side of the tape was probably Blondie singing The Tide is High with the station call letters being voiced over right in the middle of the song.

7 Comments:

  • Oh yeah, I had that same recorder. My tapes usually had the Oakridge boys or Alabama all over them.

    I'm glad you liked the movie too. I could just sit and listen to GK read the ingredients off the cornflakes box all day long. He'd make some sort of deep philosophical point about riboflavin.

    By Blogger spookyrach, at 6/27/2006 9:42 AM  

  • I find myself fearful of the day that GK passes from this life and there is no more PHC. That is one thing that absolutely can be no more; it will die when he does. It is a staple of my Saturday nights. Saw him do the show live a few weeks ago at Wolf Trap - WAY cool! Saw the movie last week - way cool! My dream vacation is to St. Paul. How weird is that?

    By Blogger Beth, at 6/27/2006 4:25 PM  

  • I think my mom sold something like that in her antique sale ;) jk glad your vacation went pretty well.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/27/2006 6:55 PM  

  • "The tide is high and I'm holdin' on!"

    The first thing we did with our tape recorder was sing "Down in The Valley" in 3 part harmony and do interviews with family members. Sort of a talk show format with talent and chatting. I wish I still had those old tapes. But what would I play them on?

    By Blogger Patti, at 6/28/2006 2:00 AM  

  • Glad you two and Sam had a good time! love your tape recorder memory! We audio taped the Wizard of Oz off the tv when I was a kid and listened to it over and over and over --Ha! funny!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/28/2006 4:09 AM  

  • ginny gin.
    glad you are back. you must feel like a champ after tackling such a long car ride with a little pip squeak.
    congrats.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/28/2006 10:17 AM  

  • PHC is a favorite of mine, too, so I am looking forward to the movie. But we will probably have to drive down to Big Flat City to see it since it's not on the schedule for our cheap-seat theater here in Fake Cow Town. I have a two-cassette set of GK monologues, but it's no good playing them in the car. His voice is just too low to be heard over the road noise.

    And congrats on the road trip with Sam. My father's day gift was a tee-shirt with a big photo of Orion titled "I'm cuter than you."

    By Blogger little david, at 6/28/2006 2:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home