Captainwow

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Trucks, Castles and Memory Lane

And, the 1000 points go to.... HEADLESS!!! With the firstly guessed correctly answered.... um...... ANSWER!

::much applause and whistling and hooting::

Congratulations! That convo and many others weirder yet took place in the 1974 movie Young Frankenstein - a movie I never saw until I met JustPat several years ago and she weirded me out by ominously telling me to "Stay close to the candles, the stairs can be treacherous." the first time she gave me a tour of her house. I had no idea what she was talking about since she wasn't carrying any candles, and the stairs were not at all treacherous. That very next New Year's Day I was introduced to the movie and I've never been the same.

(see previous post if you are lost right now)

In other news, there is no new baby news. I'm still here and still very round and in fact sittin on my big purple exercise ball right now, easing the pressure on my back and pelvic area. It's just the right height for working at this particular desk, so that's really cool.

Last night I lay in my bed, not sleeping, listening to Mocha kitty rumble contentedly while leaning her big belly against my big belly.
I heard a truck drive by that sounded just like my dad's old truck. OLD truck. I think it was a Ford. Turquoise colored. I dont know what year it was, I'd have to ask my mom. It had that old engine sound that super old trucks make. I can't describe it very well because I'm not knowledgeable about engines but when I heard that engine last night I also could smell Dad's truck. Like I was in it. Ancient vinyl, musty seat stuffing, rusty metal, grease and engine grime smell, motor oil, catalytic converter-less exhaust, earth, and hard working Dad. I used to peel away the rubber mat on the floor and watch the road whiz by underneath because the floor had holes rusted through in places. I thought that was very entertaining. And it was a manual transmission, of course - that sometimes didn't want to cooperate without a hearty bout of double clutching and creative cursing and swearing from the driver. I remember what the door sounded like when it slammed. And how cool I felt putting my foot WAAAY up on the tire and swinging myself over the side when my brothers and I would pile in the back to go pick corn.
All that just from some old truck driving by at 3AM.

12 Comments:

  • Brilliant! I can smell the inside of that truck and hear the metal on metal groan the door made when you shut it. Makes me homesick...

    BTW - I love Young Frankenstien!

    By Blogger spookyrach, at 2/22/2006 3:41 PM  

  • My Dad had a truck like that too, ford f150 or something. It was very green. We used to have to pile in the back to go every where! It did have a cap, but it was very COLD in the winter.

    I hope your baby comes soon. My most recent baby (12 years, ALMOST 13) came right on schedule. And he slid right out with no trouble at all. It only took about 8 hours, start to finish. I pray that your delivery will be even easier. May God bless you , little dude, and the amazing man.

    By Blogger Patti, at 2/22/2006 5:25 PM  

  • I guess I was too busy finishing high school to get around to seeing Young Frankenst...wait a minute, was that with the one with the woman with the tiny mouth and the guy with the curly hair and buggy eyes (Gene Wilder?)?? I might have seen it. Oh my, that was a long time ago.

    Those big purple exercise balls fascinate me. I don't see how one keeps from slipping right off the thing. Not too much longer to wait, huh?

    I loved your truck memories! My parents had an old car that had holes rusted through the floorboard. The old thing finally quit running and I believe its rusted carcass might still be in the woods beside my uncle's house.

    By Blogger annie, at 2/22/2006 9:06 PM  

  • came by to see if you were blogging about water breaking or drives to the hospital ... stuff like that ... (HUGS)

    By Blogger Saija, at 2/22/2006 10:46 PM  

  • A truck that sounds like that and smells like that has to be turquoise. Absolutely.

    I used to have an old Mercedes four door with holes under the rugs. And a Buick Opel. Watching the road whiz by under your feet gives you a true appreciation for the miracle of driving.

    It's amazing that the slightest sound or smell can bring back dusty memories as if they were right here and now.

    By Blogger Pat, at 2/22/2006 10:57 PM  

  • When I was in high school, my dad bought a station wagon from a US Postal Service auction. Talk about sluggish! Well, it got better after I started driving it. Anyway, it had a hole in the back floorboard that entertained my friends. The best trick was to tell a newbie about it and then drive through a puddle when the unsuspecting voyeur was gazing through the hole.

    By Blogger little david, at 2/22/2006 11:26 PM  

  • Hey that's kinda cool that Young Frankenstein came out the same year I was born...and then it was me who guessed that it was Young Frankenstein...that's really weird, huh? That connection, huh? With the same year, huh? It's spoochy - I mean spooky.

    Huh?

    Anyway, we had a truck with holes in it too! We used it to feed the cows. We'd drive around in the pasture with the feed in the back, dumping it out, until that old mean cow would try to attack the truck, and then we'd drive fast to get away.

    She was mean and fast.

    By Blogger Headless-in-GR, at 2/22/2006 11:47 PM  

  • Your dad would be undeniably proud of you.

    And Young Frankenstein....yeah, you'll probably NEVER hear me quote from it :)

    CJ

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/23/2006 2:54 PM  

  • How about a no news is no news post.......and I know you are tired of folks asking......but us concerned citizens just have the need to know what's doing! Hope you are well, and blessings to you.

    By Blogger Lori, at 2/24/2006 5:46 PM  

  • Yes, inquiring minds want to know....

    By Blogger annie, at 2/27/2006 8:53 PM  

  • Hey Mommy

    Congratulations!


    Take Care
    Michael

    By Blogger Michael, at 3/03/2006 3:29 PM  

  • i came over to see too ... baby here yet?

    By Blogger Saija, at 3/03/2006 7:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home