Captainwow

Saturday, February 05, 2005

Scuse Me While I Kiss the Sky

One day in about 1987, a woman handed me a tape she had made and said "I think you'll like this".
I did not. It contained songs by Joni Mitchell. And some Leo Kottke and Andreas Vollenweider -- ALL on the same TAPE! Joni Mitchell I'd never heard of (she wasn't in the top 40 at that time) so, naturally, being a teenager, I thought she was "weird". The Leo Kottke and Andreas Vollenweider freaked me out even more. I just didn't get it. It wasn't Classical or Jazz or Top 40 or Christian so it didn't fit in my teeny little musical world. But for whatever reason, I kept on listening. And it grew on me and I heard it in layers and I began to understand that music can be put together in all sorts of ways - there really aren't any RULES! I listened to that tape over and over and over and over and over.... And then went and bought CD's by those artists and then explored more within those same genres and on and on it went. This is how my ecclectic musical tastes came about.

Yesterday I heard a Joni Mitchell song for the first time since way back then -- It was the song Case of You. They played it on WYCE sung by KD Lang... so of course her enunciation is a bit different. I realized for the first time, that I'd been hearing it wrong. I looked up the lyrics today and sure enough it isn't KISS of you, it's CASE of you! ha!

Lyrics are: "I could drink a case of you baby and still I'd be on my feet."
I heard: "I could drink a kiss of you baby, and still I'd be on my feet."

I thought it was really tough. Like, "Get over yourself man, you're not THAT great of a kisser!"

Case makes a little more sense, and the song makes a little more sense, now that I'm not 17. Still, I like it better sung by Joni herself. Sorry K.D.

For more fun and amusement, visit this link for lots and lots of funny misheard lyrics!
I'm sure you have misheard a few of your own....

4 Comments:

  • snorkle.

    By Blogger Michael, at 2/05/2005 11:00 PM  

  • there was an punk club we used to go to *grew up in the 80's, tyvm* that played a song by some obscure group the d.j. played during a birthday - it's chorus was the only thing discernible during the thump of the base and the strobe lights, and that chorus wasn't happy birthday. oh, no.

    it was harry butter.

    By Blogger ~pen~, at 2/07/2005 7:31 AM  

  • I went through most of my teenage years not understanding the lyrics to songs. I sang them at the top of my lungs anyway, until I saw the SNL skit of Eddie Murphy singing "Fee Bangs (Feelings)."

    By Blogger Pat, at 2/07/2005 11:57 PM  

  • FEEBANGS and Harry Butter... I'm in good company. :o)

    I do not remember Harry Butter, but I do remember Fee Bangs. I heart Eddie Murphy still.

    By Blogger Captainwow, at 2/08/2005 5:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home