Captainwow

Monday, February 07, 2005

BAWK BAWK BAWK

Martha, Martha has this quote on her blog this week, and I have to say it hit me between the eyeballs today. Cause it's true.

"The truth that many people never understand, until it is too late, is that the more you try to avoid suffering the more you suffer because smaller and more insignificant things begin to torture you in proportion to your fear of being hurt." ~Thomas Merton

And, you might remember me mentioning it before but I have to have a bit of dental work done. This week is one appointment, and the second appt is in two weeks. And you know what? I'm a'sceered. You know, slightly anxious. Um. Actually, the fact is I am downright CHICKEN about this.

Largely it's because it's been quite a while since I've had to do anything like this. In fact I have, like most folks, gone through much worse. But that was then, and now this feels like I'm about to enter a torture chamber even though I know this is not truth.

It is a luxury life we live, compared to many other folks in the world who endure so much more hardship than we do. I could be living in the Rainforest of Peru and not be getting fillings, or caps or whatever else, I'd be left to rot my teeth out or maybe have them pulled - without no stinkin' Novocaine! Then after that - risk of infection or worse. So what is the big frikken deal here?

At any rate, in order to be a little easier on myself and help myself relax, I have revisited a deeply profound book recently given to me as a gift by a very dear and wise friend.

This particular book is called Yoga for Chickens by Lynn Brunelle.




The timing couldn't have been better, because right now I am Chicken, and I need to relax.
Here are some of my favorite quotes:

"I embrace my vulnerability and grow strong from it."
"I honor the barnyard. It honors me."
"I welcome the wind of life ruffling through my feathers."
"I am gloriously grounded."


And last but not least, maybe even best:
"I am nurtured and loved."

I am Chicken, hear me cluck.


8 Comments:

  • to this, i must say you shall embrace your fear. tell it a thing or two, like "cluck off, evil fear, you are so not going to ruffle my feathers any more," and be all bobblehead when you do so, just like a chicken.

    fear runs from the bobblehead. you go, girl. and be fowl about it. you are allowed.

    'cause you are plucky.

    By Blogger ~pen~, at 2/07/2005 4:26 PM  

  • haha! you can do it! bring wow and place her on the spit sink - she'll imbue you with her courage! :) and of course if you do you HAVE to get a picture of it!

    By Blogger bobbie, at 2/07/2005 5:47 PM  

  • You can do it, Captainchicken, er, I mean Captainwow! When we lived in Houston, my dentist used the gas (nitrous oxide?) to relax us. I always got so tickled at myself. My mind knew the gas was relaxing me, and my mind made fun of my body for grinning like a wild banshee. My mind tried to get my body to straighten up and put on a serious face because being at the dentist is a serious thing, but my body never would listen to my mind!

    Good luck to you. It will feel good when all the work is done...if that is any consolation to you.

    annie

    By Blogger annie, at 2/07/2005 6:53 PM  

  • squawk squawk my friend, squawkity squawk :) K PS - Courage isn't being unafraid. It's being afraid and doing it anyway. I'm pretty sure that's a Barry Manilow quote. :)

    By Blogger Katherine, at 2/07/2005 7:31 PM  

  • I'm going to have to borrow that book!

    By Blogger Headless-in-GR, at 2/07/2005 7:41 PM  

  • Remember, that big rooster in the sky is watching over you, sheltering you beneath the shadow of his wings, kicking dust on you and keeping plenty of grit in your gizzard.
    You're not alone in the barnyard.

    By Blogger Pat, at 2/08/2005 12:00 AM  

  • Thanks, everyone for such encouraging comments! Y'all rock!

    By Blogger Captainwow, at 2/08/2005 5:37 AM  

  • Good luck, Wow! You are my hero - facing danger all open-mouthed like that.

    By Blogger spookyrach, at 2/08/2005 2:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home