Captainwow

Sunday, September 05, 2004

Our Little Captainwow is Growing Up!

Babies almost always cry when I hold them. I'm talking nearly 100% of the time if someone hands me a baby he or she will not giggle and coo and fall in love with me. He or she will cry. I have a serious complex about this. I warn people but they don't believe me. If I talk about it with most people I get strange looks or ridiculous comments like "Oh just have one of your own and you'll be fine." Ya, that will fix everything. I'll get right on that.

I also get really sweaty and nervous and hot when someone hands me a baby, which they usually do at the most awkward moments and without asking... When this happens I try to act all cool and collected but it's definitely NOT COOL that I'm feeling. I don't have a clue and I know that it must be painfully obvious that I'm clueless so the poor thing is absorbing all my nervous HEAT and anxious vibes, and it's just hardly ever a good scene.

Today, I picked up a baby who was already crying. Yes, we had a great cry in progress and I did the heretofore unthinkable and picked her up anyway. It seemed the thing to do since everyone was busy and her sister had just, with all the joy and enthusiasm of a very small child, rocked the crap out of her little bouncy seat, disconcerting Baby greatly. Once I picked her up, she stopped crying and I was so relieved that I actually did something right with a baby for a change....but soon she continued to cry. She was looking around all cool and calm and then looked back at me and immediately started in again like "Oh I forgot, it's YOU holding me. WAAAAHHH!!" And then she'd look around and forget herself and stop crying again. Then she'd look back at me and let loose once more.

But This Time was different because this time I didn't Freak Out about it. And this time I realized that I wouldn't be judged for the baby crying. These friends already know I'm clueless and it isn't a glaring reflection of my enormous incompetence if I can't get a baby to stop crying. She didn't cry because I'm Bad with Babies or not naturally nurturing or a freak of nature, she was just crying and sometimes babies do that.

How about that.

8 Comments:

  • Smiling and nodding over here. :0)

    By Blogger Pat, at 9/06/2004 6:31 PM  

  • cool! ....a crying baby is always disconcerting... I think God planned it that way. When our baby cries and I can't get her to stop my 5 year says "it's o.k. Mom, it's o.k....babies do that sometimes.......

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/06/2004 8:40 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/06/2004 8:45 PM  

  • The Mason Matron congratulates you on this recent break-through. It's so nice you handled it so well.

    Yes, babies do cry ... indiscriminately. Sometimes just because they feel like it. It hardly ever has much to do with who is holding them. They already know some 'control' techniques. It may be taught to them in hospital nurseries, I don't know, but I guarantee they know it by the time they go home. If memory serves, you had it down to a fine art even after the 'diaper days' and look how well you turned out! 09-07-04

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/07/2004 6:40 PM  

  • Someday maybe I'll get there! They always cry with me too!

    By Blogger Headless-in-GR, at 9/08/2004 12:49 PM  

  • I make babies cry too. Maybe someday I'll be fine with it...!

    By Blogger Headless-in-GR, at 9/08/2004 1:07 PM  

  • You are not alone! I have the exact same effect on babies and even small children. I now admit with pride, rather than shuffling, mumbling incompetence, that I have never, ever, even changed a diaper. Not on a single niece, nephew, or assorted stranger's kid. I think its better for all concerned that this record remain intact.

    (Although I did once apply a "Born to Ride" temporary tatoo to the bum of one neice-baby who was very temporarily left in my care.)

    By Blogger spookyrach, at 9/09/2004 10:16 AM  

  • oh yes. Temporary tatoos would be most charming on babies.
    I think that that information along with an extreme facial twitch and the occasional tourrettes outburst could ensure no babysitting jobs come your way!

    By Blogger Captainwow, at 9/09/2004 12:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home