Captainwow

Tuesday, June 29, 2004

Skin Deep

Went to the dermatologist today.
-- The one my mom goes to. He's been taking good care of my mom for a good long time now. Saving her life even? Together they've been waging war on the spots that continually appear on her skin that could turn into Melanoma. Since she's already had a serious case, it's a good strategy. She's been over 5 years cancer free now, and that's quite a big deal to us.
Anyway, for the above reasons, I get a little nervous now and then when a new spot appears on my hide. I got lotsa spots already so you'd think I wouldn't notice, but a new one popped out on my hand a few weeks before my wedding, or at least that's when I noticed it. It had an odd shape to it and it brought along a brand new baby to sit along side itself so that just sorta seemed not quite right. I made an appointment to see the dermatologist just to be safe.
He's great about my mild paranoia - though he does call it exactly that. Just so you know though, I've only seen him twice in 2 years so it's not that I'm freaking out about absolutely everything.
Today he informed me that Blue Haired Blonde Eyed people like me SHOULD be careful and observant about our skin, but that I probably could relax a little. I smiled and he caught his mix up and corrected it. The guy isn't usually a laugh a minute or anything, in fact his "bedside manner" is a little gruff, but he takes the skin thing very seriously and I appreciate that.
Anyway -- I'm good to go, in case you were curious. It was just a freckle that had appeared in the web of my hand and therefore looked deformed and abnormal to my mildly paranoid, untrained eye.

5 Comments:

  • Man, getting old sucks! I had a spot on the side of my face that got bigger, then eventually burst in a bloodbath in the middle of Sears! Needless to say, I freaked out and had it removed and analyzed and tested and questioned and probed and polygraphed.

    By Blogger Mawci, at 6/30/2004 9:24 AM  

  • It burst???

    I'm 30 and scared now!

    By Blogger Headless-in-GR, at 6/30/2004 3:01 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Mawci, at 6/30/2004 3:46 PM  

  • Sorry, didn't mean to scare anyone. I forget that most of you out there don't know me enough to know that was a complete and utter gross exaggeration of the facts. It was a normal mole thing, started growing a little, got flaky, and I can't resist picking a flake. So that probably precipitated it breaking open. It was small in the grand scheme of things. No worries mates!!

    By Blogger Mawci, at 6/30/2004 3:46 PM  

  • Wow, great story stinky! The only element missing from wow's blog has been horror - thanks!

    I'm just afraid I might end up with green hair and brown eyes...

    By Blogger Pat, at 7/01/2004 6:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home