Captainwow

Friday, February 27, 2009

Recipe

By request:

Ma Po Tofu

serves 4 - 6

1 Tb Vegetable Oil
1 large Garlic Clove, crushed
1 ounce of fresh ginger - peeled and jullienned (I use a generous sprinkle of ground ginger if I don't have fresh)
2 green onions or scallions, sliced
12 ounces ground pork or beef or ground chicken (Or none, if you wish)
1 pound firm tofu cut into 1/2 inch thick squares
1 tsp chinese dark soy sauce (If you can, use the good stuff you get in the Asian Market. None of that La Choy or Kikkoman!! YAAAK!!)
1 tbs light soy sauce
2 tsp hot bean paste or hot garlic chili sauce (I use Hao Pao Wang)
1/2 cup chicken stock
1 tsp tapioca or cornstarch
1/2 tsp pepper
salt to taste
stir fry the garlic ginger and scallions until fragrant then add the ground meat and stir fry until done. lower the heat to medium low and add tofu, soy sauces and hot bean paste
Whisk together the chicken stock and starch until smooth and add it to the pot along with the pepper and salt. simmer for 20 minutes. stir gently just a couple of times being careful not to break up the tofu too much.
I got this recipe from ESSENTIALS OF ASIAN CUISINE FUNDAMENTALS AND FAVORITE RECIPES BY Corinne Trang. Great cook book. I got it as a wedding gift from an Asian friend of mine.
hope you love it!
peace,
gin

5 Comments:

  • I trembled with excitement when I got your message. Fumbled my way over here, cat food still clinging to my fingers. I am SO grateful and Ginny, my name is Virginia Rose. I am also called Ginny on occasion. Thank You Thank You Thank You!!!!

    By Blogger Greenconsciousness, at 2/28/2009 10:10 AM  

  • Here in WI, we have an old hippie company called The Simple Soyman, box 16677, Milwaukee 53216, (414)444-8638. They make an organic firm tofu called Bountiful Bean. They make the best tofu in the world, not the smelly Asian variety or the corrupt Monsanto WesSoy variety but the fresh tasting variety made new every week. It is made fresh every week in small quantities and the whole foods stores fight to get it. You can't get it outside WI because they drive it to drop off points in WI. It is indescribable. It is all I eat outside of the occasional fruits and vegetables. I fry it in olive oil but realize it would be better to get off so much olive oil hence the NEED for the Mabo and NOW I do not have to rely on anyone else to provide my variety. Because I have your recipe. I will use substitutes for the chicken stock and do without the meat but I bet I get pretty darn close. And I will post the modification on all the vegan websites I go to. You have turned on many people with your kindness in sharing this recipe.

    By Blogger Greenconsciousness, at 2/28/2009 10:23 AM  

  • and I use tamari instead of soy sauce --don't ask me why -- I love the taste -- 1/4 the salt-- I mean the soy is too salty for me and there is much less in tamari plus there is a warm nutty taste in Tamari that is different from soy sauce. Have you tried Tamari -- It is in most Chinese sections of the large food stores. There is organic and wheat free but I buy whatever is cheap.

    By Blogger Greenconsciousness, at 2/28/2009 10:29 AM  

  • yummy recipe! Let's have some birthday pictures on here!! Happy birthday Sam!

    By Blogger Lori, at 2/28/2009 5:39 PM  

  • Herpes Finally Gone, thanks to Dr. Utu for his Herbal Treatment.
    I had a sudden onset of cold sores and a new one was appearing each day. I was on primary immunosuppressant I noticed my body just can't fight the virus on its own. After five days of treatment and no success I suspected herpes I went for test and it was confirmed. God was my strength I met a doctor for treatment. He gave me Dr Utu's contact. I contacted him immediately, This medication was far amazing that within 24-48 hrs the blisters were crusting over. The swelling and redness was decreasing as well. I was on four weeks herpes medication which I completed before going for test. I went for herpes test and then again back to my doctor who confirmed me herpes negative it was really like a dream. What a relief! Feel Free to contact Dr Utu Email:- drutuherbalcure@gmail.com OR WhatsApp :- +2347032718477

    By Blogger John Williams , at 9/23/2019 2:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home